Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hop hop hop

Maybe it's just stress but often it feels like the days go by in a rapid succession of imminent deadlines.
Rushed, hurried, syncopated...

Shooting on the TLRs allows/forces me to slow down.
It's quite the ritual, contrasting a 140 character snap-shot world:
Carefully measure the light.
Calculate the average between the two, three readings.
Set the dials.
Find the frame.
Focus.
Wind the film.
Find a comfortable position that allows holding the camera without shaking.
Adjust the breathing to steady the hand..
and finally ...Click.

This was the fourth time that I took the train downtown and walked across to Luster Photo, and as the three times before, it rained.
But before I share the shots of the prints, let me talk about my hair and the outcome of Saturday's setting:

Lots of light reflecting of the product on the hairline
What I did differently from previous settings: mini egg shaped curlers for the tips, medium and large ones for the bangs and upper layers. Fully saturated the hair with the setting lotion instead of misting. Worked Layrite into the hair when styling not when putting it into the curlers.
I don't think that I will do it this way again. The saturated tips took forever to dry, on the curlers, and were too stiff when finally dry.

Onto the prints.
To start, here is a pretty miserable attempt at double exposure.The first capture was taken in a very dark rehearsal studio. The second one (the little frames) at the Museum of the Moving Image.

This one, from the Museum as well:



Another rehearsal/museum double exposure that didn't come out right, but kind of looks neat:
Bitter Grace
The above were all taken with the Rolleiflex while the Mamiya was at the clinic. But the weekend before last, it was released with a clean bill of health and I finally got to use it. I am completely head over heels with it's lense: 105mm Mamiya Sekor.

Here are Lee and Michele, taken shortly after I picked the camera up. We were sitting in a dark restaurant, using candles and Elan's digital camera's flash for light:
Slow Exposure for a double Lee
Michele and Lee

At the Flea Market/Bed Bug Boutique where I was yelled at for trying to shoot some vintage type writers
Sam & Hansu, on their wedding anniversary
Please keep in mind that these are digital images of the print and that unfortunately a lot of the quality gets lost when replicating them this way.
Yes, yes I know, I need a scanner. But for now, my spending allowance will go towards Viva Las Vegas...Than again I might have access to a good scanner real soon as I signed up for a  B&W photo and darkroom class at SVA today... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment